Friday, January 7, 2011

Stop Sign Communication

Mr. Sands - 
Please help me to understand how sharing information with you, to share with your list i.e., forwarding a post from the Homestead Beat BEFORE the stop sign was installed,  translates to you or anyone else being "blind sided" about this Stop sign? I have to admit, even I was surprised at how quickly the DPW responded to the request, but that is probably because they are more aware of what is happening in Homestead right now.
That said, I'm am relieved to know that you share my views of improved communication in Homestead, so I have copied the email I sent to "hear us" group last night about the Stop sign - I would very much appreciate if you would forward it to your list - it follows below.

Best Regards, 
Mari Tamburo

From: Charlessands 
Date: January 7, 2011 7:47:45 AM PST
To: drive@.....
Subject: Three strikes against Community Involvement and tranquility:

Three strikes against Community Involvement and tranquility:
 
1st: The County blind sided Homestead Valley Residents with Marin Horizon School's proposed expansion plan in 2003.
2nd: The County blind sided Homestead Valley Residents with Marin Horizon School's and DPW's walks and Melrose and Evergreen
3rd. The Hearus group blind sided Homestead Valley Residents by requesting a stop sign at Merose and Evergreen.
 
C. Sands


Begin forwarded message:

From: Mari Tamburo 
Date: January 6, 2011 8:49:40 PM PST
Subject: [HEAR US] Fwd: Request Stop Sign at Melrose and Evergreen in Homestead Valley

 This Stop sign at Melrose & Evergreen has been removed from the BOS agenda until February to give our community additional time to consider the matter  - at the January 22 hvca annual meeting. Please scroll down to read the letter from Mr. Kinsey.  

The subject of a stop sign at this intersection was first suggested in July by Karlyn Ward, and also by myself in August. This information was shared with hear us group and on The Beat. Both of us, residents of Homestead who live on Evergreen, in close proximity to this intersection, have personally experienced close calls with cars speeding around that corner.
  I also spoke to my next door neighbor, who also lives on Evergreen, and often walks to the Community Center. She has also expresses to me that she feels an addjtional Stop sign at that intersection would, and I quote "would go a long way to increase safety" on the street where we live. 

Considering my own experience and those of other neighbors who regularly walk in that area, combined with the experiences shared by other neighbors, I was compelled to request that the DPW send out the traffic department to survey the intersection.

They sent out the traffic engineering team and have decided it is warranted.

If you support this effort to increase safety at this intersection, I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the matter with Mr. Kinsey, and/or hear us group --- or if you prefer, you can just share with me and your privacy will remain intact.

If you have any objection to this Stop sign installation,  I would honestly like to know what that would be and why. 

I can certainly understand why so many residents would object to a million dollar sidewalk project that is in conflict with the TAM plan, and take issue with the fact that it was not communicated to us for four years. 
But I can't see why anyone would object to a $300 expenditure for a Stop sign, initiated by Evergreen Avenue  residents, to improve safety near our homes. 
An idea which was openly communicated, seemed to have no opposition and has nothing to do with the sidewalk project or MHS. 

This stop sign has everything to do with safety for Homestead residents - of all ages - and their pets. 

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Kinsey, Steven" <SKinsey@co.marin.ca.us>
Date: January 6, 2011 6:04:32 PM PST
To: "Mari Tamburo" <drive@avehicleforchange.org>
Cc: "Mansourian, Farhad" <FMansourian@co.marin.ca.us>, "Al Wuthnow"  <alwuthnow@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: Request Stop Sign at Melrose and Evergreen in Homestead Valley

Dear Ms. Tamburo,
 
I am writing to let you know that I requested that the issue of the stop sign be removed from the Board of Supervisors agenda for next week to provide the community the opportunity to discuss the matter further at your upcoming Community Association's annual meeting, should you and the Association choose to do so. I have informed Mr. Wuthnow of that as well.
 
I did not remove the item from Board consideration as a result of Mr. Sands' perspective. I have received a number of other communications from local residents who are not supportive of the idea, so I thought allowing the broader forum the opportunity to consider the matter made sense.
 
While I do not know if the matter will be taken up on January 22nd, I thought it best to allow for that opportunity before considering the matter at the Board of Supervisors.
 
Sincerely,
 
Steve Kinsey
 

From: Mari Tamburo [mailto:drive@avehicleforchange.org
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2011 5:52 PM
To: Mansourian, Farhad
Cc: Kinsey, Steven
Subject: Re: Request Stop Sign at Melrose and Evergreen in Homestead Valley
 
Dear Mr. Mansourian :  
I reviewed a copy of the Board of Supervisors agenda for 1/11/2011 and do not see the Stop sign at Melrose & Evergreen listed as an agenda item. 
Will it appear on next week's agenda, or has it been removed as per Mr. Sands' request to table the item?
 
Please let me know how residents who live near this intersection can support your efforts to install this Stop sign to increase safety for pedestrians and bicyclists at this intersection.
   

No comments: